The Community Organizer will work under the leadership of the Business Development and Public Affairs Manager to engage community members in local efforts related to state-wide and local advocacy initiatives via specific campaigns that ACLAMO supports ranging from fair funding in education to immigration. The Community Organizer will work with other key professionals from different organizations. She/he will also act as a liaison between ACLAMO and the campaign group. The ideal candidate will be a strong written and verbal communicator, and a trusted member of the community. The Community Outreach Organizer will be responsible for the following essential functions:
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Community Organizer primarily develops, organizes, and implements events that benefit the local community, particularly immigrant members of the latino community and other minority groups
which includes children.
- Conducts a variety of outreach activities in the community to engage and recruit families that supports the messaging of the campaign ACLAMO is working with.
- Develop an outreach plan along with the Business Development and Public Affairs Manager.
- The Community Organizer will work to advise, recommend, and consult on advocacy change and policy in alignment with ACLAMO’s vision and mission. These decisions will be made with the Business Development and Public Affairs Manager and the Executive Director.
- Identify and understand key information regarding campaign points which can include information about local and state government initatives or government officials.
- Meet with the organizations who run the campaign(s) to be informed of key updates and bring those updates back to the team.
- Content creation about campaigns for social media in both English and Spanish.
- Community liaison; resources and referrals for individuals who may be eligible for program services.
- Promote and support opportunities for applicants and volunteers to participate and engage in our program and advocacy work.
- Support the intake process for any special events, campaigns, or informational seminars in each department of ACLAMO as needed.
- Promote and support the implementation of immigration/naturalization workshops and relevant trainings.
- Record accurate documentation of outreach, referrals, program participation, and other relevant activities in a timely fashion to support monthly reports.
- Attend meetings as required with organization, center, and campaign.
- Maintain confidentiality and ethical standards of practice with families and co-workers.
- Maintain the cleanliness in the offices and common areas which includes vacuuming, dusting, picking up materials, wiping down surfaces and arranging desks and chairs as needed
- Alert the supervisor of any need for social services that an individual may have, and refer them and his/her family to the social services department
- Attend all ACLAMO staff meetings and trainings
- Other duties as assigned as appropriate and determined by the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- A high school graduate and/or matriculated college student
- 1 year of experience as an advocate or outreach worker
- A commitment to working some hours on the weekend
- Ability to be a team leader, to make meaningful decisions and provide effective solutions
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Proficient in microsoft word, outlook, excel, and power point.
- Work with a variety of data management using standardized methods and job-related equipment including ability to enter and track client’s data.
- Comfortable working both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail oriented and possess strong organizational skills.
- Work at establishing a base of trust with each resident or community member.
- Accept residents and community members “where they are at” while working to assist them.
- Be a passionate supporter of ACLAMO’s mission, vision and programs.
- Observe confidentiality, privacy, and dignity of each person in the program.
- Must have and maintain a valid drivers’ license, automobile insurance and daily access to an automobile and cell phone.
- Schedule will be created on a weekly basis based on need and schedule of candidate.
- This position will required some nights and some weekends at month.
- This position requires visual and auditory acuity and the physical ability to climb stairs, stand for long periods of time, walk distances, and lift or carry up to 20 pounds.
- Must obtain the following three clearances:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance;
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check; and
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check.