A successful Career Coach believes in the academic potential of all students, assists them with personal and professional goals, and helps them develop leadership skills and long-term workplace strategies. The Career Coach will construct meaningful plans that are compatible with each student’s life goals. This position will work in partnership with the Academic Program Manager to provide students with information and assistance to navigate the educational system.
The successful candidate has strong written and verbal communication skills, is experienced in career coaching, makes meaningful decisions, and provides effective solutions. In addition, the Career Coach will be the lead teacher for High school students in the ADELANTE and Summer/Teen programs.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide academic support and counsel to high school students and advise alumni that have graduated from the ACLAMO’s ADELANTE STEAM base program.
- Create and lead engaging and practical activities for students in the ADELANTE and Summer/Teen Programs.
- Help students hunt down new employment opportunities, provide feedback on resumes, cover letters and strategize for a successful job interview.
- Provide students with relevant occupational, educational, and employment information that helps them to explore a wide range of majors and career options.
- Work with the Academic Program Manager on upgrading the existing objectives to successfully aid students in literacy, math, science, and life skills
- Work with the Academic Program manager to develop an effective way of assessing, compiling, and organizing student performance.
- Use that performance data to adjust aspects of the programs and/or the student’s involvement.
- Communicate frequently with the Academic Program Manager on the status of the ADELANTE and Summer/Teen Programs
- Alert the Academic Program Manager of any need for social services that a student may have so that the student and/or his/her family is referred to the appropriate social services department.
- Organize the volunteers that provide academic support to high school students and coordinate substitute teachers for the Education Program
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, counseling, human services, or any related field and a minimum of 2 years of experience in career coaching or counseling
- OR an associate degree in the above categories and 5 years of experience working as a career coach or related field.
- Experience in advising high school students for college courses and/or career opportunities.
- Proficient in Microsoft word, outlook, excel, and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable working both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, detail-oriented, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Be a passionate supporter of ACLAMO’s mission, vision, and programs.
- Highly proactive with effective adjustments and solutions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, remain flexible, and work independently in a fast-paced environment with minimum supervision.
- Fluency in English and Spanish preferred
- Competitive salary; including benefits after a three (3) month probationary period.
- This position requires Saturdays and some nights, and/or weekends.
- This position requires visual and auditory acuity and the physical ability to climb stairs, stand for long periods of time, walk distances, and lift or carry up to 20 pounds.
- Must obtain the following three clearances:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance;
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check; and
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check.