The Career Coach serves in a critical role to assist students with career development, professional goals and long-term workplace success strategies. She/he supports the student’s skills growth and development by constructing meaningful plans which are compatible with each student’s life goals. The career coach will served as a liaison between students/parents, ACLAMO, the school district and potential employers. She/he will work in partnership with the academic advisor to provide the students with information and assistance to navigate the educational system and to make appropriate decisions around it. Through personal consultations, the career coach helps people identify their specific aptitudes and to realize their career goals. The ideal candidate will be a strong written and verbal communicator, experienced in career coaching, and proactive with solutions and adjustments. The Career Coach will be responsible for the following essential functions:
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work directly with high/middle school students in ACLAMO ADELANTE Program and Out of School Youth from 14 to 24 years old.
- Coaches participants regarding career development, including administering and interpreting career assessment instruments for all students and the young adults in the program.
- Work directly with the academic advisor to provide opportunities for students for career coaching.
- Advises students/young adults individually and in class presentations regarding resume writing, interviewing and job search skills.
- Design and implement outreach programs and promotional materials to promote and encourage use of career services by students/young adults.
- Develops, administrates and analyze surveys, processes and other forms/documents needed for the creation of the program including entrepreneurial opportunities. Create new tools for measuring program impact.
- Researches and implements best practices, data, curriculum, statistics and/or any other information we may need for program development.
- Use data regarding student performance to adjust, where necessary, aspects of the programs and/or the student's involvement
- Monitor and maintain protocol that provides support for high demand jobs, certificates, degree programs, and non-credit training options that lead to career advancement.
- Assists students/young adults in finding career information on the web or in career fairs.
- Work in partnership with tutors and volunteers providing services to our students
- Alert the supervisor of any need for social services that a student/young adult may have, and referred them and his/her family to the social services department
- Developed Organized, coordinated bussiness development workshops for the youth and other community members inclluding small local business.
- Attend all ACLAMO staff meetings, field trips and trainings
- Maintain the cleanliness of the classrooms, offices and common areas which includes vacuuming, dusting, picking up materials, wiping down surfaces and rearranging furniture.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in education, human services or any related field and at least 1 year of working experience as a career coach or related field, OR An associate degree in the above categories and 3 years of working experience as a coach or related field
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Proficient in microsoft word, outlook, excel, and power point.
- Work with a variety of data management using standardized methods and job-related equipment including ability to enter and track client's data.
- Comfortable working both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail oriented and possess strong organizational skills
- Work at establishing a base of trust with each resident or community member.
- Accept residents and community members "where they are at" while working to assist them.
- Be a passionate supporter of ACLAMO's mission, vision and programs
- Observe confidentiality, privacy, and dignity of each person in the program.
- Must have and maintain a valid drivers' license, automobile insurance and daily access to an automobile and cell phone
- This position will required some nights and 2 weekends at month.
- This position requires visual and auditory acuity and the physical ability to climb stairs, stand for long periods of time, walk distances, and lift or carry up to 20 pounds.
- Must obtain the following three clearances:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance;
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check; and
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check.