The academic advisor serves in a critical role to assist students in their academic growth and
development by constructing meaningful educational plans which are compatible with each student’s
life goals. The academic advisor will served as a liaison between students/parents, ACLAMO and the
school district. She/he will provide the students with information and assistance to navigate the
educational system and to make appropriate decisions around it. The academic advisor will lead the
ADELANTE (college prep program), Summer Program and Teen Club program (Middle/High School
students in Summer). The academic advisor will work directly with middle school students in the
summer program in Morris Arboretum. The academic advisor will supervise volunteers, teacher
assistants and all activities related to this position. The ideal candidate will be a strong written and
verbal communicator, experienced in education, and proactive with solutions and adjustments. The
Academic Advisor will be responsible for the following essential functions:
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide guidance and supervision to high school students participating in ACLAMO’s
ADELANTE program and academic suport to the middle school students during the after
- Work in partnership with tutors and /or students providing services to our students
- Interface with schools to ensure consistency between the academic goals of the after school
and ADELANTE program with those of the students’ educational institutions
- Interact with schools to receive feedback on students’ academic performance
- Use data regarding student performance to adjust, where necessary, aspects of the programs
and/or the student’s involvement
- Develop an effective means of assessing, compiling and organizing student work
- Develop supports for students who require it to foster academic improvement, such as one
on one tutoring or small group support
- Follow up with students’ to ensure that supports are effective, and if not, develop new, more
pointed supports or seek out other resources
- Plan long-term curriculum and daily lesson plans to achieve goals and objectives in literacy,
math and science.
- Lead engaging and practical activities for students in the education department
- Create and acquire engaging, relevant and authentic materials
- Conduct internet research to gather supplementary materials
- Monitor student homework and administer assessments during educational programs.
- Attend all ACLAMO staff meetings, field trips and trainings
- Maintain the cleanliness of the classroom and common areas which includes vacuuming,
dusting, picking up materials, wiping down surfaces and arranging desks and chairs
- Alert the supervisor of any need for social services that a student may have, and referred the
student and his/her family to the social services department
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in education, human services or
any related field, OR
- An associate degree in the above category and 3 years of experience working with youth
- Proficient in microsoft word, outlook, excel, and power point.
- Work with a variety of data management using standardized methods and job-related
equipment including ability to enter and track client’s data.
- Comfortable working both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal.
- Must be detail oriented and possess strong organizational skills
- Believe in the academic potential of all students
- Be a passionate supporter of ACLAMO’s mission, vision and programs
- Must have and maintain a valid drivers’ license, automobile insurance and daily access to an
automobile and cell phone
- This position requires Saturdays and some nights and/or weekends.
- This position requires visual and auditory acuity and the physical ability to climb stairs,
stand for long periods of time, walk distances, and lift or carry up to 20 pounds.
- Must obtain the following three clearances:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance;
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check; and
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check.